Prepare yourself…. Today starts off a week long extravaganza of all things Gingerbread!
Why five days of all things Gingerbread? Well, I woke up this morning to the seasons first snow and its finally starting to feel a bit like Christmas.I absolutely love gingerbread and there is no better time to over indulge in it then when its starts to get cold and their is snow outside. I have a lot of memories that involve Gingerbread, but I will save those stories for later 🙂
We start the week off with breakfast and lets be honest, muffins are just an excuse to eat cake for breakfast…
1/2 Cup Unsalted Butter
1/4 Cup Granulated Sugar
1/4 Cup Light Brown Sugar
1/3 Cup Dark Molasses
2 Large Eggs
1/2 Cup Buttermilk
1 1/2 Cups AP Flour
1/2 tsp Baking Soda
1/4 tsp Salt
1 tsp Ground Ginger
1 tsp All Spice
1 Cup Fresh or Frozen Blueberries
1 TB Flour
Zest of 1 Lemon or 1 small Orange
Sanding Sugar for Garnish
1. In a mixer, cream the butter and sugars on medium speed until light and fluffy (this should take 3-4 minutes).
2. Add the egg to the creamed sugar and butter and beat until incorporated.
3. Add the molasses and mix on low until incorporated.
4. In a separate bowl, combine the flour, baking soda, salt, ginger and all spice. Alternating between buttermilk and flour, starting with the flour, add half the flour and then add half the buttermilk into the creamed mixture. Wait until each ingredient is incorporated before adding the next. Repeat with remaining ingredients. Mix just until all the dry ingredients is mixed in.
5. In another bowl, toss together the blueberries, flour and zest. Once combined, with a spatula gently fold the blueberries into the batter, being careful not to break the berries.
6. Scoop the batter into paper a lined muffin tin. Sprinkle sanding sugar on top of each muffin.
7. Bake at 350 degrees for 16 t 18 minutes.